OVERVIEW OF THE EASTWEST TRAVEL MONEY CARD
- 1. What is the EastWest Travel Money Card?
The EastWest Travel Money Card is a multi-currency reloadable prepaid card that you
can use to pay for goods & services or to withdraw cash from an Automated Teller
Machine (ATM) when you travel abroad. It gives you the benefits of security and
convenience as opposed to carrying cash.
- 2. How many currencies are available for the EastWest Travel Money Card?
The EastWest Travel Money Card is currently available for loading simultaneously of
up to six (6) foreign currencies, namely: US Dollar, Euro, Hong Kong Dollar,
British Pound, Australian Dollar and Japanese Yen.
- 3. Why should I get an EastWest Travel Money Card for use when I travel abroad?
With the EastWest Travel Money Card, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Foreign Exchange Purchases Flexibility
You can buy foreign currency when the exchange rate is favorable.
- Locked-in Exchange Rates
You will not have to worry about fluctuating exchange rates if the
currency of your transaction is available in your card.
- Global Acceptance
You can use your card in over 30 million VISA-affiliated merchants
and ATMs outside the Philippines. If you are in a country where the
currency you loaded is not accepted, you can still use your Travel
Money but there will be conversion fee for the currency you used,
for any of the currencies you loaded.
You only need one card to carry up to six foreign currencies. No
need to carry bulky foreign currency notes in your wallet or bag
when you travel abroad.
You have more security over your funds as compared to carrying
cash. For your protection, your PIN will be required whenever you
withdraw money from ATMs using the EastWest Travel Money Card. You
will also be asked to affix your signature at point-of-sale
terminals to authorize your transactions.
- Financial Control
You can effectively budget your expenses without the fear of
overspending because you can only spend the amount loaded in your
- Affordable & Worry-Free
The EastWest Travel Money Card requires low load amount and no
minimum maintaining balance, as compared to opening and maintaining
a foreign currency denominated account. Moreover, there are no
annual fees, finance charges, monthly payments and late charges to
worry about as compared to credit cards.
| Minimum Load Amount
| Loading Fee
- 4. How is the EastWest Travel Money Card different from a credit or debit card?
The EastWest Travel Money card is a prepaid card and is not connected to a line of credit (like a credit card) or a deposit account (like a debit card). Being a prepaid card, it needs to be funded before it can be used. To load it, you will need to purchase foreign currency from your branch store-of-account.
Generally, funds in the EastWest Travel Money Card, when used, are not subject to foreign exchange rate fluctuations unlike debit and credit cards.
- 5. How do I apply for an EastWest Travel Money Card?
You can apply for an EastWest Travel Money Card at any EastWest branch store. Fully accomplish and submit the application form, present a valid ID and pay the card application fee to the Sales Associate for card processing.
As the EastWest Travel Money Card is personalized with your name, it will take around three to five days from the date of application before you can claim your EastWest Travel Money Card.
- 6. Why did I receive two EastWest Travel Money Cards when I applied for only one card?
We understand the challenges of losing one's card while traveling. As such, we issue each customer two physical cards a Primary Card and an Emergency Card.
The Primary Card is what you will use for your routine purchases when you travel. Meanwhile, the Emergency Card is the one that you can store in a secure location, such as your hotel room safe, and retrieve in case your Primary Card is lost, damaged or stolen. The two cards will have different card numbers and separate PINs for your utmost security.
- 7. How do I activate my EastWest Travel Money Card?
Your Primary and Emergency Cards are activated upon receipt. For cases when you need to lock (temporarily deactivate) or unlock (reactivate) your card, you may log on to https://travelmoney.eastwestbanker.com.ph or call EastWests 24 Hour Customer Service Hotline at US Toll Free No. 1-866-828-6296 or (632) 888-1700 (international call charges will apply).
When you are logging on to the Travel Money portal for the first time, you will be asked to enter your 16-digit card number as your username and your web portal PIN as your password. Once inside the portal, you will be asked to create a new username and to change your web portal PIN for your added security.
- 8. Can I give my Travel Money Card to a friend for his or her own use?
No. The EastWest Travel Money Card is personalized, registered under your name and is solely for your use. Moreover, your signature is required whenever purchases are made using your EastWest Travel Money Card. As the cardholder, you are accountable for all transactions using your Travel Money Card.
- 9. How do I use my Travel Money Card?
You can use your EastWest Travel Money Card to pay for goods and services in over 30 million Visa-affiliated merchants and for cash withdrawals from all Visa-affiliated ATMs outside the Philippines.
All you need to do is present your EastWest Travel Money Card as a mode of payment. The same currency as your purchase will be debited. If the currency wallet is not sufficient for that purchase, the following order of charging will be used until a wallet is found to have sufficient balance*:
- USD US Dollar
- EUR Euro
- HKD Hong Kong Dollar
- GBP British Pound
- AUD Australian Dollar
- JPY Japanese Yen
* Depending on what are currently loaded in your card.
- 10. Can I use the EastWest Travel Money Card in the Philippines?
No. The EastWest Travel Money Card is designed for use by travelers abroad. At the moment, the foreign currency value loaded into the card can only be used outside the Philippines. If you need a card for use in the Philippines, you can avail of an EastWest Prepaid Card.
- 11. How do I load my EastWest Travel Money Card?
To load your EastWest Travel Money Card, visit your any EastWest store and fill out a Purchase of Foreign Currency Application form. Submit the form to a Service Associate together with one (1) valid government-issued ID. You may load any combination of the six (6) currencies to your card with the minimum amount and pay the loading fee. Once loaded, your EastWest Travel Money Card is ready to use when you travel abroad.
- 12. Can someone else load my card in my absence?
No. Only you are allowed to load your EastWest Travel Money Card.
- 13. Can I transfer funds from my own EastWest Dollar Account into the EastWest Travel Money Card?
As of the moment, due to BSP regulations on foreign currency purchase, you can only load or reload your EastWest Travel Money Card with foreign currency bought from an EastWest branch store.
QUESTIONS ON TRAVEL MONEY CARD USAGE
- 1. If my Travel Money Card has available balances for all six wallets, which one will be debited for the purchase? Can I choose which wallet to debit?
The wallet that has the same currency as the transaction will be automatically used, as such, you cannot choose which wallet will be debited. However, in the event that the said wallet does not have enough balance or there is no wallet that matches the currency of the transaction, the hierarchy below will be used until a wallet is found to have sufficient balance.
Hierarchy of Wallets:
- USD US Dollar
- EUR Euro
- HKD Hong Kong Dollar
- GBP British Pound
- AUD Australian Dollar
- JPY Japanese Yen
Otherwise, the transaction will be declined for reason of insufficient balance.
- 2. Which wallet will be deducted when I withdraw from an ATM?
The same hierarchy of wallets will apply for ATM withdrawals, such that no partial withdrawals from wallets will be allowed and that each ATM withdrawal amount must be sufficiently covered by a single wallet.
Please keep in mind that prevailing foreign exchange rates will apply every time you withdraw funds from a wallet that is not of the same currency as the ATM.
- 3. Can I still use my EastWest Travel Money Card in a country whose currency is not available in my card?
Yes. You may still use your EastWest Travel Money Card in any VISA-affiliated merchant or ATM abroad, even if the local currency of that country does not match any of your available EastWest Travel Money Card wallets.
- 4. Where can I use my EastWest Visa payWave-enabled card?
- Ensure that the establishment or ATM that you are transacting with is Visa-affiliated. For establishments, you may ask if they accept Visa. Meanwhile, for ATMs, you may look for a prominently displayed Visa logo on the ATM housing.
- Ensure that you are using the correct PIN. Please note that your Primary Card and Emergency Card have separate PINs. Both of which will be given to you together with your EastWest Travel Money Card at your branch store-of-account.
- Ensure that you have not entered your PIN incorrectly three (3) times or more. Otherwise, your EastWest Travel Money Card will be blocked automatically for your own protection. If such were the case, you must wait for 24 hours before you can use your EastWest Travel Money Card in an ATM again.
- Ensure that your EastWest Travel Money Card has sufficient balance to complete the transaction being done. Keep in mind that you can only purchase with or withdraw an amount that is not greater than the highest available balance in a single wallet. Note as well that ATM networks of specific countries and territories will impose their own withdrawal limits that may be higher or lower than your available balance.
If you have checked all of the items above and your card still does not work, please contact our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline at US toll free No. 1-866-828-6296 or (632) 888-1700 (international call charges will apply).
- 5. I did not authorize a transaction that was posted on my EastWest Travel Money Card, how can I have this transaction reversed?
If you suspect an error in your EastWest Travel Money Card transaction history or would like to contest a transaction, you can download a dispute form at https://travelmoney.eastwestbanker.com. Kindly submit the fully-accomplished form to any EastWest branch store within 30 days from the date of the transaction being disputed.
QUESTIONS ON BALANCE INQUIRY
- 1. Where can I check my EastWest Travel Money Card balance?
You can check your card balance online via https://travelmoney.eastwestbanker.com. You can also check your EastWest Travel Money Card balance through Visa-affiliated ATMs outside the Philippines. Note, however, that each bank/ATM network may charge additional fees on top of the usual Travel Money Card ATM balance inquiry fees.
- 2. What information will be displayed when I check my EastWest Travel Money Card balance at ATMs?
When inquiring about your EastWest Travel Money Card balance at an ATM, the balance that will be displayed in the screen will be based on the order of wallets mentioned above. Meaning, if your EastWest Travel Money Card has US Dollar, Euro and Japanese Yen balances, what will be displayed will be your total US Dollar funds. If in case US Dollar is not supported by the ATM, the funds will be converted to the currency of the ATM.
Scenario 1. You are in the USA and your EastWest Travel Money Card contains US$ 50 and JPY 100. You went to an ATM to inquire about your balances. What will be displayed in the ATM screen will be your US$ 50 load.
Scenario 2. You are in Malaysia and your EastWest Travel Money Card contains US$ 50 and JPY 100 in its wallets. You inquired about your balances at an ATM; what will be displayed in the ATM screen will be your US Dollar balance converted to Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) or US$ 50 = MYR 164.
- 3. Will I receive a statement for my EastWest Travel Money Card?
No. The EastWest Travel Money Card does not come with a monthly statement. Instead, EastWest Travel Money Cardholders can access their transaction history, real-time card balance and other useful features and information through https://travelmoney.eastwestbanker.com.
QUESTIONS ON CARD CANCELLATION, EXPIRATION AND LOST CARDS
- 1. How do I cancel my EastWest Travel Money Card? What happens to the balance left in it, if I am unable to withdraw or use it for purchases?
You may cancel your EastWest Travel Money Card at your branch store-of-account by filling out a card closure form and paying the corresponding card closure fee. Meanwhile, you can withdraw the cash over-the-counter in your branch store-of-account. However, you will not receive the value in foreign currency but instead in Philippine Peso, converted to the corresponding foreign exchange rates at the time and date of your cancellation.
The EastWest Travel Money Card has an expiration date. You can choose to keep your fund in your card until your next travel abroad, since there are no maintaining balances required or service fees.
- 2. What happens when my EastWest Travel Money Card expires?
You will not be able to use your EastWest Travel Money Card once it expires. To obtain your money loaded in your card, go to your branch store-of-account and withdraw it over-the-counter. However, if you fail to redeem the balance of your card 12 months after expiration, you will no longer have access to the said funds.
To avoid the inconveniences brought about by an expired card, take note of the expiry date printed at the front of your EastWest Travel Money Card. If you will be travelling in the near future, check if your card will still be valid for the duration of your trip. If your card is six (6) months near its expiry date, you have the option to apply for a new EastWest Travel Money Card and have the balance of your old card transferred automatically to your new card. You are also entitled to do the same for a 12-month period after your card expires.
- 3. What do I do if my Travel Money Card is lost or stolen?
You may lock your EastWest Travel Money Card by logging on to https://travelmoney.eastwestbanker.com. You may also call the EastWest 24 Hour Customer Service Hotline at US toll free No. 1-866-828-6296 or (632) 888-1700 if your card or PIN has been lost, stolen or you suspect that it may have been used by another person.
QUESTIONS ON VISA PAYWAVE
- 1. What is Visa payWave?
Visa payWave is a new payment feature that lets you make purchases easier since you don't need to fumble for cash. With Visa payWave, you simply wave your EastWest Visa in front of a secure reader at the sales counter, and you're on your way. Payment cards enabled with this contactless payment technology feature a distinctive contactless mark () on the card face. The card has an embedded chip, which contains a tiny antenna that securely transmits payment instructions to and from a secure reader.
- 2. What are the benefits of a Visa payWave-enabled card?
Using a Visa payWave-enabled card is a quicker and more convenient way to make purchases. You don't have to sign a receipt or enter a PIN, just tap-and-go. Visa payWave saves time on both sides of the counter--shorter transaction times mean you spend less time in queues. There's no more fumbling for cash, counting change or worrying if you have enough cash for the purchase. It's also a more secure way of paying because the card doesn't leave your hand at checkout.
- 3. Is this technology secure?
The Visa payWave platform is based on secure EMV chip technology, which provides both data protection and transaction security via the use of keys and the latest encryption technology. Visa payWave transactions are processed through the same, reliable payment network as EMV chip and magnetic strip transactions.
EastWest Visa payWave-enabled cards are just as secure as any other Visa chip card. You also have peace of mind since the card remains in your hand throughout the entire transaction.
- 4. Where can I use my EastWest Visa payWave-enabled card?
You can use your EastWest Visa payWave-enabled card for transactions at retailers across the world. Look for the contactless symbol () and the Visa logo () on card readers at the point-of-sale. You can also use your EastWest Visa payWave-enabled card for signature transactions at millions of locations worldwide wherever you see the Visa sign, including over the internet, telephone or via mail order.
If there are no available Visa payWave-enabled terminals, you can still use your EastWest Travel Money Card for your transactions. The merchant will simply swipe your card to complete the transaction.
- 5. How do I pay with my EastWest Visa Travel Money payWave-enabled card?
Look for a Visa payWave reader displaying the contactless symbol () and the Visa logo () at the point-of-sale. Once the cashier enters the purchase amount into the terminal, hold your card within 4cm of the secure contactless reader. Your transaction is confirmed when the green indicator lights up and you see a display message confirming that your transaction has been successful. You can choose to have a receipt, but this is optional.
- 6. Is there a limit on the value of goods I can purchase with Visa payWave technology?
The limits of the value you can pay using VISA payWave technology differs in every country.
- 7. What happens if I try to purchase goods over limits that can be paid using payWave technology?
For purchases exceeding this amount, the retailer or merchant will process the transaction the usual way by swiping or dipping the card into an EMV-chip card payment terminal. You will have to sign for this purchase.
- 8. Can I get a charge slip after I make the payment?
Visa payWave is designed to let you make a paperless wave-and-go payment, but you can request for a charge slip if one is needed.
- 9. Can I unknowingly make a purchase if I walk past the reader?
No. Visa payWave was designed to ensure that the cardholder is always in control. The retailer must first have entered the purchase amount for approval and your card has to be held in very close proximity to the card reader (within 4 cm) in order for a transaction to take place. Terminals can also only process one payment transaction at a time.
- 10. Is there any chance that a payment amount may be charged twice to my EastWest Visa?
No. Visa payWave terminals are designed to accept only one transaction per card at a time. As a safeguard, each transaction must be either complete or void before another one can take place.